The goings-on of the Alfaro family as our lives change with our daughters, Ivy and Isabella...
Saturday, August 19, 2017
Many Thanks
There are so many things I'm thankful for, I just wanted to take a moment to record them.
I am thankful for the health of my children. They are vibrant, stubborn, hilarious, sassy girls who will change the world with their footprint, bootprint, sneakerprint, and Jimmy Choo print in the years to come. This year, Ivy will start 5th grade - her first year of departmentalized classes. She has 3 lovely teachers, and I think she's going to have another wonderful year. If I had to take a guess right now, I'd say that Ivy will be a lawyer or designer of some type. In fact, she may be a corporate attorney for a fashion firm. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't end up on Saturday Night Live, too. Isa is in 2nd grade. She will likely go to 3rd grade for some math enrichment. What Isa will be, I'm not sure. I think she might be a doctor or nurse, because she is so caring and concerned. She might also be an engineer or mathematician for some science company. It's hard to say where their paths will lead. I sure hope I'm here to get to see it!
I am thankful for my job. Last year I left public education and started working for a software company as their Learning Evangelist. It's such a silly title. I have my sights set on being their Chief People Officer some day. I love this company - Terra Dotta is its name. I love the environment I work in, I love the way we shrink the world for traveling students and scholars. It would be so easy for me to go back to what I know...to teaching and having summers off, and being near the top of my game. But I don't want to. Every once in a while I get an email like the one I got last night, when the CSO emailed me with a new idea that tells me he doesn't think I'm a flash in the pan, but rather someone who will be with company for the long ride. I'm so appreciative of that. I came from education, where I knew I'd be retiring in 15 years. Now, I have no idea when I'll retire, but everything feels fresh and exciting and I can't imagine that I'd WANT to quit in 15 years.
I am thankful for Alex. We've had ups and downs and ebbs and flows through the years, and I think I can recognize each season for what it is - but where we are right now, ahead (and behind) our 15th anniversary, it's a special place. It's a place where he holds me close and tells me things I cannot believe about myself - that I'm beautiful, loved, worthy. Like Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman, "The bad stuff is easier to believe." Unfortunately, I only tell myself the bad stuff. It's a journey I'm on, to find some acceptance within myself. I'm thankful that he loves me. I thankful that he's a constant for our girls. I'm thankful that while it seems we're ALWAYS a foursome...we're always a foursome. We have each other, through it all.
And I'm thankful for knowing who I am a little better than I did in younger years. 39 feels so young, and so old at the same time. It's time to start looking for a new car; I'm not in a rush. It's time to start planning a few vacations; I can't believe we're finally to the point where we get to do that. It's time to start thinking about an anniversary trip; woohoo! It's time to start thinking about the future. And I'm so thankful that where we are is strong enough that we can look beyond right now, and dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment