Saturday, July 25, 2015

Sensitive Kids

I know that I'm raising sensitive kids. They're sensitive in different ways, but they are tender hearts nonetheless. Also, I was a sensitive kid - so quick to get my feelings hurt. Quick to forgive, too, but oh - have you ever literally felt your heart ache? Felt it feel as if it's pulling in two, right inside your chest? I have. More times than I can count. Unfortunately, at least one of our daughters is the spitting image of me. Tonight, we had just finished watching Annie (old version) and were heading to bed. Out of nowhere Ivy says she needs to talk to me, and she proceeds to burst into tears. Big, fat tears that streaked her face as her lip curled out further and further while she told me the story of what had her upset. You see, in PreK 4, she had a best friend. PREK 4...3 full years ago, and then some. This friend moved away, but came back briefly in 1st grade. When she came back, she told Ivy that she remembered her, but she didn't want to play with her. And then the sobs. SOBS. Because her feelings were hurt 400+ days ago. She may be like me, but I do believe she may be more sensitive than even I was. I asked why she didn't mention it when it happened and she wasn't sure. I know she isn't sure because it happened SO LONG AGO. What hashed up these feelings? I don't know. If anyone reads this blog, can you relate? Do you have a sensitive child who takes years to process typical pains of childhood? If anyone reads this blog, will you pray for us through boys and the mean-girl teenage years? Yikes.

No comments: